Monarch Tractor, maker of the MK-V, the first commercially available, fully electric, driver-optional, smart tractor, is announcing its first units are now rolling off production lines at the manufacturer's headquarters and manufacturing facility in Livermore, California.
The rollout comes less than two years since Monarch unveiled a beta-model tractor that combines electrification, automation, and data analysis to help farmers reduce their carbon footprint, improve field safety, streamline farming operations, and increase their bottom lines. Monarch says the MK-V, next to a comparable diesel tractor, represents an emissions reduction of removing 14 passenger vehicles from the road.
The first six Monarch MK-Vs are going to Constellation Brands. Constellation is a global premium, fine wine and craft spirits producer and the largest beer importer in the US. The delivery of MK-V tractors to Constellation Brands will be followed by additional customer shipments to family farms and other large multinational corporations.
Here are some features of the MK-V:
• The MK-V is 100% electric and has zero tailpipe emissions.
• It is a 3-in-1 electrification machine, operating as a tractor or utility vehicle, as well as an electric generator.
• The Monarch is driver optional using autonomous and robotics hardware and software technology. The Monarch MK-V can perform pre-programmed tasks without a driver, or an operator can use the Monarch interactive automation features including Shadow mode to have the tractor follow a worker on the job.
• Monarch says its MK-V has a 14-hour run time.
• The MK-V collects and analyzes crop data daily and can process data from current and next-generation implements equipped with sensors and imaging. This data can be used for real-time implement adjustments, long-term yield estimates, current growth stages and other plant/crop health metrics.
• Through a smartphone or personal device, MK-V users receive tractor status alerts, detailed operations reports, and data collection, analysis, and storage.
• The Monarch electric drivetrain can provide 40HP (30KW) of continuous power and short duration peak power up to 75HP (55KW).
Monarch Tractor has raised more than $110M from investors including a $61M Series B round in 2021. Monarch Tractor also has secured strategic partnerships with global ag companies, such as CNH Industrial (Case IH and New Holland Agriculture). It has recently signed a manufacturing agreement with Hon Hai Technology Group ("Foxconn") the world's largest electronic manufacturer, to build the MK-V and its battery packs at the Foxconn Ohio facility.
Dan Miller can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow him on Twitter @DMillerPF
(c) Copyright 2022 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.