OMAHA (DTN) -- Here are the Top 5 things the DTN Newsroom is tracking for the week of July 30. Watch for coverage of these and other topics through the week on our subscription platforms as well as on DTNPF.com.
1. Heat brings feedlot deaths: The weekend saw scattered reports of cattle deaths from feedlots in Nebraska and other sweltering states. Numbers, while devastating locally, seemed to not be at the level to move market prices. We'll monitor those areas. For tips on getting animals through stifling conditions, see our story here: https://www.dtnpf.com/….
2. Welcome cooling: Scattered rains late last week and into this week bring a slight cooling to major cropping areas. Monday's USDA weekly Crop Progress Report will give a look at crop condition going into those rains, we'll watch through the week for signs of improvement. For our latest thoughts on weather and markets, see the In The News video here: https://www.dtnpf.com/….
3. Ukraine watch: Markets so far have calmed following the crumbling of the Ukraine grain deal and subsequent shelling of the Odesa grain port. But at some point, the bushels missing in the global grain bin could regain traders' attention, noted DTN Lead Analyst Todd Hultman. For a current look at grain shipping issues in the Black Sea region, see DTN Ag Policy Editor Chris Clayton's piece here: https://www.dtnpf.com/….
For on-the-ground reporting from Ukraine farm country, see freelance journalist Iurii Mykhailov's recent dispatches here: https://www.dtnpf.com/….
4. Recess lights dumpster fire on House playground: With Congress taking summer recess without passing an appropriations bill, the scene is set for another government shutdown threat come September. It bears watching whether the time back home soothes divisions or whether hanging with the base simply throws gas on this smoldering dumpster fire. For background and potential repercussions, see Clayton's Ag Policy blog here: https://www.dtnpf.com/….
5. Reports to watch: In addition to Monday's Crop Progress report, there is a stream of business and economic news coming throughout the week. On Tuesday the latest world manufacturing indices come out at 9 a.m. CDT. Latest NASS Fats and Oils report hits at 2 p.m. that day. The Energy Department's weekly energy inventories is released at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday. Thursday morning, we'll watch USDA's weekly export sales report, U.S. weekly jobless claims, second-quarter U.S. productivity and an update of the U.S. Drought Monitor, all due out at 7:30 a.m. The latest (June) report on U.S. factory orders is at 9 a.m.; the U.S. Energy Department natural gas storage numbers hit at 9:30 a.m. Then, Friday sees Labor Department reports on nonfarm payrolls and U.S. unemployment at 7:30. We'll also gear up for the sixth DTN Digital Yield Tour, powered by Gro Intelligence, which kicks off the week of Aug. 7. Watch for more on that in our Top Stories content area. For more information on the tour, see the 2022 resource page here: https://spotlights.dtnpf.com/…
For background on Gro, go here: https://www.gro-intelligence.com/…
For more info on FIRST, who is helping us with on-the-ground crop condition reports, go here: https://www.firstseedtests.com/…
(c) Copyright 2023 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.