Serve up this hearty chili with pumpkin or sweet squash, and loads of warming spices.
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained
Fresh cilantro, red onion, jalapenos and sour cream for garnish (optional)
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add beef or turkey; cook until browned, breaking up large pieces with a wooden spoon. Transfer cooked meat to a plate, discarding excess oil.
3. Bring pot to medium heat (do not wash); add remaining olive oil. Place onion, jalapeno and garlic in the pan; cook until softened.
4. Add chili powder, cumin and tomato paste; cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
5. Add salt, pumpkin or squash, tomatoes, stock, beans and beef to the pot; bring to a simmer. Cook 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
6. Adjust seasonings to taste. Place chili into bowls; top with cilantro, red onion, jalapenos and sour cream, if desired.
(c) Copyright 2022 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.