Red Wine-Braised Roast
Slow-cooking times make this dish extra rich.
MAKES: 6-8 SERVINGS
TOTAL TIME: 6 HOURS
5 pounds sirloin chuck roast, cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely diced
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups red wine
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pat meat dry; toss with salt and pepper.
2. In a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides until a crust forms (about 2 minutes each side); transfer to a plate.
3. Reduce heat to low; add onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are just tender.
4. Stir in tomato paste and flour, mixing together. Add wine, broth and mushrooms.
5. Place meat back into pot. Drop in thyme and rosemary; let settle around beef.
6. Cover and bake 3 hours or until meat is tender enough to come apart with a fork.
(c) Copyright 2022 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.