American Flag Berry Pie
Celebrate the red, white and blue with this clever take on the American flag.
MAKES: 6-8 SERVINGS
TOTAL TIME: 10 MINUTES PLUS 2 HOURS to CHILL
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1â??1/2 teaspoons salt
1â??1/2 cups very cold, unsalted butter, cut into half-inch slices
1/2 cup ice water
1 large egg
2 tablespoons water
Make the Crust:
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt; pulse to mix.
2. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
3. Pulse and add the water slowly until distributed.
4. Pour dough onto a clean surface; gently knead into a ball. Divide in half; flatten into a large disk. Chill at least 1 hour.
5. Roll large dough portion into a large rectangle. Transfer to a 15- x 10- x 1-inch baking pan; trim the edges.
6. Prick bottom of the dough with a fork; chill.
7. Roll remaining dough portion into a large rectangle, about the same size as the backing pan. Cut six strips (about a half-inch wide lengthwise). Cut four shorter strips to go widthwise across the pan (about 10 inches). Use remaining dough to cut out as many stars as possible.
8. Mix egg and water; brush strips of dough and stars with egg wash. Place on a baking sheet; chill while fillings are prepared.
8 cups frozen raspberries
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Prepare the fillings:
For raspberry filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. For blueberry filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Situate the dough-lined pan with long edge facing you; arrange blueberry filling into a rectangle in the upper-left corner (about 6 by 4 inches in size).
3. Add raspberry filling across rest of pan, spreading evenly.
4. Place dough strips over raspberries in a flag pattern, trimming as needed.
5. Place stars over blueberries.
6. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until filling bubbles and crusts are golden brown. Allow to rest at least 1 hour before serving.
(c) Copyright 2021 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.