MAKES: 8 ROLLS
PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES
1 pound flank steak, at least 1/2 inch thick
Kosher salt and pepper
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 small red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 small orange bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 medium zucchini, sliced into thin strips
1. Slice steak into 2-inch-wide pieces. Depending on the thickness of the piece (edges of the meat may not be as thick as the center), carefully run knife along the middle of the piece of meat to split it in half. Place steak between two sheets of wax paper; use a meat hammer to tenderize each piece into thin sheets (you should end up with about eight pieces of steak). Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme, Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; sauté vegetables until just tender (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper; toss hot vegetables in balsamic mixture.
4. Place a few vegetable strips vertically on one end of each steak piece; roll up and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining steak.
5. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; add remaining olive oil just before the pan starts to smoke. Place steak rolls into pan, allowing to sear without moving for at least 2 minutes; flip. Repeat cooking on all sides.
6. Transfer rolls to a plate; allow to rest at least 5 minutes. Carefully remove toothpicks before serving.
Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.