Production Blog

More Soybean Farmers Rotating SCN Varieties

Pamela Smith
By  Pamela Smith , Crops Technology Editor
Connect with Pamela:
The growing season is a good time to dig some soybean roots to see if you can see soybean cyst nematode. A hand lens can help spot the tiny white females that appear like grains of sand on the soybean root. (DTN photo by Pamela Smith)

DECATUR, Ill. (DTN) -- Soybean farmers appear to be getting the message that they must manage soybean cyst nematode (SCN) resistance to avoid yield losses. A 2020 survey showed that 49% are now rotating sources of genetic SCN resistance. Of those farmers rotating genetic sources, 25% identified Peking as their alternative source of SCN resistance.

The survey of nearly 1,000 soybean growers in 17 states was funded by The United Soybean Board to monitor outreach by The SCN Coalition. A similar 2015 survey revealed only 39% of farmers were rotating genetic sources of SCN resistance. At the time, genetic resistance known as PI 88788 was used in 95% of the commercially available soybean varieties. Overuse of that one source of resistance has become one of the battle cries of the industry in efforts to manage the No. 1 yield-grabbing pathogen in North American soybeans.

The 2020 study results released this week found:

-- 49% of growers said they were rotating sources of genetic SCN resistance, up from 39% in 2015.

-- 25% of growers identified Peking as their source of SCN resistance up from 15% in 2015.

-- 40% of growers said they use a nematode-protectant seed treatment, up from 22% in 2015.

-- 77% of growers said they were rotating non-host crops such as corn and wheat, up from 71% in 2015.

-- 66% of growers said they were planting SCN-resistant soybean varieties, up from 59% in 2015.

Soybean growers also reported they perceive SCN reduces yield by 5.1 bushels per acre. However, Iowa State University data from 15 years of variety trial experiments in growers' fields has revealed increased reproduction of SCN populations on PI 88788-resistant varieties can decrease yield by as much as 14 bushels per acre.

Do the math on those losses at today's prices and the incentive to manage SCN quickly emerges. Based on the USDA's May WASDE 2021 soybean price projection of $13.85 per bushel, a 5.1-bushel-per-acre yield loss represents leaving $70.64 per acre in the field.

The SCN Coalition includes university scientists from 28 U.S. states and Ontario, Canada, grower checkoff organizations including the North Central Soybean Research Program, United Soybean Board and several state soybean promotion boards, and corporate partners including BASF, Bayer, Growmark, Nufarm, Pioneer (Corteva), Syngenta, Valent and Winfield United.

Want to learn more about SCN management? The coalition has developed a website and video series called "Let's Talk Todes" featuring scientists and soybean growers. Find it here: https://www.thescncoalition.com/….

Find more information on how SCN continues to move into new geographical regions here:

More about the decline of PI 88788 and new Bt traits that might help can be found here:

Learn how nematodes hitchhike into fields:

A look at southern nematode issues can be found:

Visit www.TheSCNCoalition.com to learn more about actively managing SCN and to get recommendations specific to your state provided by university and Extension experts.

Pamela Smith can be reached at pamela.smith@dtn.com

Follow her on Twitter @PamSmithDTN

Comments

To comment, please Log In or Join our Community .

AANNY1450327009
6/14/2021 | 3:28 PM CDT
AANNY1450327009
6/14/2021 | 11:35 AM CDT
Hello Everyone I want to quickly use this medium to share a testimony on how i was directed to a Legit and real illuminati member who have transformed my life from grass to grace, from being poor to a rich woman who can now boast of a healthy and wealthy life without stress or financial difficulties. After so many months of trying to to be a member of the illuminati and was scammed the sum of $3,000 i became so desperate in being a member online who will not add to my pains, then i decided to contact a friend of mine who recently became a member, we discussed about the issue and to our conclusion she told me about a man called Paul mark who is the grand master in the whole of Africa. So i applied to become a member of illuminati easily without stress and all the preparations were made concerning how to become a member in two(2) days i became a member and the sum of 1.5 million dollars was deposited into my bank account so i want to advice any one who wants to become a member should call him +2349130700648 or WhatsApp him +2349130700648 or email (illuminatiworldoffamous@gmail.com) he does not know am doing this i pray that lucifer will bless him for the good things he has done in my life.      .... ..
AANNY1450327009
6/14/2021 | 10:02 AM CDT
Hello everyone I am Mr Smith Benson from USA, I am giving a testimony on how I joined the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now,I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria, I was down,I could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all miss but all avail, I was afraid to contact any Illuminati agent because they have eat my money. One day I across a post of someone giving a testimony, thanking a man called Paul mark of being helping him to join the illuminati brotherhood, then I look at the man email and the phone number that was written there, it was a Nigeria number I was afraid to contact him because a Nigeria agent eat my $5,000 and go away with the money then I was very tired, confused and I decided to contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about when he wanted to join, he told me everything to do, then I made up my mind and called the agent called Paul mark and he told me everything to do, and I was initiated, surprisingly I was given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati brotherhood I was so happy, for those of you trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to join CONTACT MR PAUL MARK call +2349130700648 or WhatsApp him +2349130700648 or email: illuminatiworldoffamous@gmail.com
AANNY1450327009
6/14/2021 | 10:02 AM CDT
AANNY1450327009
6/14/2021 | 8:48 AM CDT
LSmith1292682898
6/12/2021 | 8:33 PM CDT
Aceasta este m?rturia mea despre cum m-am al?turat în cele din urm? noii ordini mondiale, Illuminati, dup? ce am încercat s? m? al?tur de peste 2 ani, dar escrocii au luat bani de la mine de mai multe ori. Am c?utat s? m? al?tur Illuminati de atât de mult timp, dar escrocii continu? s?-mi ia banii pân? la începutul acestui an, când m? întâlnesc online cu Lord Morgan, care m-a ajutat s? m? al?tur fr??iei online ?i primesc suma de 1.000.000 de dolari SUA în banca mea cont imediat dup? ritualul meu de ini?iere online ?i, de asemenea, voi câ?tiga lunar 55.000 de dolari SUA, sunt foarte fericit! ?i promite?i s? r?spândi?i lucrarea bun? a lordului Morgan. Dac? sunte?i interesat s? v? al?tura?i noii comenzi mondiale Illuminati ast?zi, contacta?i-l ast?zi pe Lord Morgan, în loc s? accepta?i escrocii s? v? ia banii în numele v? ajut? s? v? înscrie?i, contacta?i-l pe Lord Harris Email: Illuminatiofficial565@gmail.com sau +1 (202) 443-3754
AANNY1591804640
6/12/2021 | 2:29 AM CDT
Hello everyone i was browsing the internet and i saw a lot of wrong quote concerning the ILLUMINATI SOCIETY, i felt bad about it, i want to let you know few things about the ILLUMINATI SOCIETY. First, i join the ILLUMINATI SOCIETY through the help of an agent someone introduced me to online, after years of determination to be a member. being a member of the ILLUMINATI your wealth is guarantee, you will be protected, fame, power influence e.t.c all these they will give you. one thing i want to correct is that the ILLUMINATI don’t pay member any salary, if you are newly initiated they will give you the seed of wealth and bless you with wisdom, power, influence e.t.c you need to be successful. the seed of wealth is the only money the ILLUMINATI SOCIETY give to their member, with this you can start anything with the money and you will be successful. Another thing is that the society have special blessing for politicians and super stars. Being an ILLUMINATI member is a personal decision, the society don’t force or beg people to join them. i joined because i want to, no body force me and am very happy to be a member today because they have contributed greatly to my life by making me one of the leading business man in the world. If you are interested in joining the ILLUMINATI SOCIETY contact agent SIR ROBERT MORIS on or whatsapp +2349057263057 or call him on 2349016938501, or email him @ illuminatiworldrichm632@gmail.com he was the one that help me, this is the little help I can give to you ..
AANNY1591804640
6/11/2021 | 12:29 PM CDT
EGerald837401203
6/9/2021 | 5:25 AM CDT
I don't know how to say this, but all i can see is that the illuminati is real, because i have finally see the goodness of being a member of illuminati, the illuminati is a big brotherhood family, which help and protect human in this earth, the illuminati is real, why i said so is because i have meet so many fake people using the illuminati names to cheat on people, who are really interested to be part of the brotherhood, i was once a victim and i have so many experience, because of this i was thinking the illuminati brotherhood is just a name, but now i believe in the illuminati brotherhood because i finally meet the right agent, i spent thousands of dollars because i want to join, but all was fake people, when i meet the right people, i was thinking i will pay money to join, to my own surprise it is totally free to join, the illuminati brotherhood will not charge you for any fee, there will take care of all the charges, the reason why i am saying this testimony is to inform you all that it is totally free to join the illuminati, and if you join the illuminati on your induction day you will be given so many benefits and a cash of $2,000,000.00 to start a new life as a new member of illuminati, i don't have much to say all i can do now is, i will direct you to this email and contact phone number of the real illuminati brotherhood, because i also want you to meet the real illuminati brotherhood, contact email: richbrotherhoodofwealth@gmail.com call contact phone number or WhatsApp +1(661) 666-4507 for more info on how to be part of the brotherhood, everything on how to join is free thanks to you all that will read my testimony.