Makes: 4 sandwiches
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Vegetable oil for frying
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, divided
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
4 fish filets (tilapia, catfish, cod, etc.)
4 white hoagie sandwich rolls
¼ cup prepared remoulade
¼ cup sweet pickle relish
1 cup cabbage coleslaw mix
1 medium tomato, sliced
For serving: deli pickles, Louisiana hot sauce
1. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 inch vegetable oil to medium-high heat.
2. Set out three shallow bowls.
3. Fill first bowl with flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning; stir to combine.
4. Fill second bowl with beaten eggs.
5. Fill third bowl with bread crumbs, remaining Cajun seasoning and remaining salt; stir to combine.
6. Sprinkle fish with salt. Dredge first filet in flour mixture; dip in egg mixture to coat (allowing excess to drip off). Press both sides into bread crumb mixture.
7. Test oil by dropping a pinch of bread crumbs into it; watch for a gentle sizzle. When oil is ready, lay two filets in pan; cook 2 to 3 minutes each side or until bread crumbs are golden brown, and fish is cooked through.
8. Set fish aside on a cooling rack; cool slightly. Repeat with remaining filets.
9. While fish is cooking, split rolls in half lengthwise; lightly coat with cooking spray. Toast until golden brown.
10. Spread 2 tablespoons remoulade on bottom halves of bread; spread 2 tablespoons relish on top.
11. Assemble sandwiches by adding fish; top with coleslaw mix and tomato. Serve with pickles and hot sauce, if desired.
© Copyright 2018 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.