Makes: 18 cookies | Prep Time: 45 minutes
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt
4 ounces whole pecans
½ cup vanilla frosting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine sugars and butter, beating until fluffy and well incorporated. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, scoop by scoop, mixing as you go, just until combined. Dough will be soft and tacky.
4. Use a medium cookie scoop (holds 1.25 ounces of dough and yields a 3-inch cookie) to drop balls of dough onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Gently press 1 pecan into the top of each cookie.
5. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are set and bottoms are browned. Cool on a rack.
6. Soften store-bought icing in the microwave (about 20 seconds) and stir. Pour into a piping bag for a more structured look, or use a spoon to drizzle icing onto cookies.
7. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to four days.
Copyright 2017 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.