Serves: 4 | Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
â…“ cup Italian bread crumbs
¼ cup whole milk
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1 pound ground chicken
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
3 whole garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 large zucchini
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, milk, cheese and egg. Add chicken, oregano, 1 teaspoon of salt and the cracked pepper. Mix gently with a large spoon (or your hands) until meat mixture just comes together.
2. Using a cookie scoop or a large tablespoon, scoop 2-ounces of meat mixture, rolling gently to create meatballs. Place on a baking sheet as you go.
3. In a large slow cooker, stir together crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic and remaining salt. Add meatballs in a single layer; cook on high 2 hours or until internal temperature of meatballs reaches 170°F.
4. To make zucchini noodles using a vegetable peeler, shave strips of raw zucchini lengthwise, piling “noodles” into a bowl. If you have a spiralizing tool, use whichever shape/size you prefer. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat; sauté noodles 30 seconds or until just slightly softened. Remove from pan (do not overcook).
5. Top zucchini noodles with meatballs and sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
© Copyright 2017 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.