Serves: 8--10 | Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
8 ounces whole pecans
¼ cup roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 large eggs
1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. To make the topping: Chop pecans and pumpkin seeds into small pieces. In a bowl combine the nuts, brown sugar, flour and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine. Cut butter into nut mixture using a fork until mixture becomes rough crumbs; chill until ready to use.
2. To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan (or Bundt pan) with cooking spray; dust with a thin layer of flour.
3. Using a stand mixer or a large bowl and hand mixer, cream sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and sour cream just until combined. Stir in vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. With mixer on low, add flour mixture to wet ingredients by the spoonful; mix just until combined.
5. Spread half cake mixture into the pan, using a spatula to push batter to touch the sides. Top evenly with half the pecan mixture. Add remaining cake batter, spread. Add remaining pecan mixture.
6. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick test indicates the cake is done. If nuts are browning too quickly, top with aluminum foil halfway through baking. Let cool before serving.
Copyright 2017 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.