OMAHA (DTN) -- Here are the Top 5 things the DTN Newsroom is tracking for the week of Feb. 18. Watch for coverage of these and other topics through the week on our subscription platforms as well as on www.DTNPF.com.
All times listed below are in Central Standard Time (CST) unless otherwise mentioned.
1. Presidents Day holiday: Markets are closed on Monday in observance of federal Presidents Day holiday in the United States, although mandatory livestock reports are still released that day. Canadian markets are also closed for Family Day in some provinces or named a different holiday in others. We'll have limited updates, with market coverage and full news coverage resuming Tuesday.
2. Census of Ag details: We'll continue to dig into the trends and surprises from the 2022 Census of Agriculture. Our latest piece on the Census, created through our alliance with the Mississippi River Basin Ag & Water Desk network, is here: https://www.dtnpf.com/….
3. More machinery coverage: We'll have additional pieces from our attendance at several of the winter farm equipment shows. Watch our Top Stories, as well as check out our Equipment section, found here: https://www.dtnpf.com/….
4. Weather changes: Throughout next week, multiple clipper systems will cross the Central U.S., providing areas of rain and isolated snow showers. The Northern and Central Plains may see warmer weather return through the week. In the Midwest, those systems will also bring higher temperatures, which will keep precipitation in the form of rain instead of snow. In South America, a system off the Brazil coast will continue to produce showers in southern and eastern Brazil through early this week. The front that is moving through Argentina this week may produce scattered showers later in the week.
5. Economic reports to Watch: Monday is the Presidents Day holiday, commodity and stock markets are closed and no government reports are out, although mandatory livestock reports are still released that day. Canadian markets are closed for Family Day/another holiday on Monday. China futures markets will reopen. U.S. futures markets open Tuesday morning. Tuesday starts with the U.S. Leading Economic Indicators report at 9 a.m., followed by U.S. Grain Inspections at 10 a.m. The NASS Chicken and Eggs Annual report is out at 2 p.m. Then Thursday starts with Initial Jobless Claims at 7:30 a.m.; at 8:45 a.m. is S & P services and manufacturing PMIs; 9 a.m. is the release of existing home sales, and at 10 a.m. the EIA will release the weekly petroleum status report, including weekly ethanol production and stocks. At 2 p.m. we'll see the livestock and poultry slaughter reports and broiler hatchery and milk production reports. Friday starts with grain export sales at 7:30 a.m. and at 2 p.m. is the Cattle on Feed report. Watch for our Cattle on Feed Preview story prior to the report's release.
(c) Copyright 2024 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.