Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwich With Cherry Cola Barbecue Sauce
Give your homemade barbecue sandwiches a little extra zing with the addition of cherry soda.
If you don't have a smoker, you can roast the pork at 275°F for 5 1/2 hours or until the pork internally registers 180°F.
MAKES: 10-12 servings
TOTAL TIME: 6-7 hours
PULLED PORK SANDWICHES:
1 (5-pound) boneless pork butt
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cherry Cola Barbecue Sauce (see recipe below)
8 hamburger buns of choice
Chopped Cabbage Coleslaw, for serving (optional)
Pickles, for serving (optional)
CHERRY COLA BARBECUE SAUCE:
1 cup barbecue sauce of choice
1 can (12 ounces) cherry cola
1/4 cup cherry preserves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1. Prepare charcoal grill as a smoker: Add a layer of presoaked wood chips over coals; close lid. Place a pan of water on grill rack to steam; keep meat moist as it smokes. Bring smoker to 200°F (be sure to keep it no higher than 210°F throughout the cooking process). Open and close vents to control heat, as necessary.
2. Season pork generously with salt and pepper. Set into a disposable aluminum baking pan; cover with aluminum foil.
3. To make sauce (see list below center): Whisk all Cherry Cola Barbecue Sauce ingredients together in a small sauce pan; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cover; cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
4. Smoke pork 1 hour. Brush pork with Cherry Cola Barbecue sauce on all sides. Continue to smoke and sauce every hour for up to 3 hours more.
5. Transfer pork to a 275°F oven; roast 3 hours or until pork becomes fork-tender and registers 180°F.
6. Let pork rest outside of oven until cool enough to handle. Shred meat into 1-inch pieces; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce.
7. Serve shredded pork on buns with pickles (optional)and more sauce on the side.
(c) Copyright 2022 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.