MAKES: 1 large loaf cake
TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 (16-ounce) container vanilla frosting
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
1 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Generously grease a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; dust with flour.
2. Whisk together dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon); set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in pumpkin puree.
4. Add dry ingredients to mixture, beating until they are just combined.
5. Pour batter into the prepared pan; bake 1 hour 10 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf to test for doneness (if it comes out cleanly, the cake is done).
6. Cool on a rack in pan 30 minutes. Turn bread out of the pan; allow to cool completely on the cooling rack.
7. Place cooling rack with the cake on it on a high-sided baking sheet.
8. Heat frosting in microwave about 20 seconds, stirring until smooth enough to pour; coat cake generously. Allow excess frosting to drip onto baking sheet.
9. Decorate with chopped pecans and pumpkin seeds.
10. Allow frosting to set at least 10 minutes before cutting.
NOTE: Cake will keep in an airtight container up to five days.
© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.