Disaster Aid, Places to Donate

Agriculture, State Organizations Try to Help Farmers Affected by Flood, Blizzard

Many livestock producers are in need of hay and other materials following the flooding and blizzards in Nebraska. (DTN file photo)

This article was originally posted at 6:03 a.m. CDT on Wednesday, March 20. It was reposted with additional information at 4:14 p.m. CDT on Friday, March 22.


OMAHA (DTN) -- With ongoing flood recovery efforts in Nebraska, Iowa, and other affected states, there are a number of places farmers and ranchers can go for help or to donate.

Livestock losses in Nebraska are estimated at about $400 million and many ranchers face challenges to save remaining herds. Total losses to agriculture in Nebraska are nearing the $1 billion mark.

In addition, according to a federal disaster request from the state of Iowa, farmers and ranchers so far have reported about $214 million in losses from flooding.

The state of Iowa on Friday announced both a hotline at 211 and a website, www.floods2019.iowa.gov, to answer questions and concerns about the flood.

The Nebraska Department of Agriculture is ready to help producers affected by the blizzards and flooding who need hay, feedstuffs, fencing materials, volunteer help and equipment.

Callers to the department at 1-800-831-0550 should be prepared to share their name, contact information, type and number of livestock, location (including county), the type of assistance needed and how urgent the need is.

Nebraska Department of Ag staff will gather the information and identify needs to react accordingly, including the use of the National Guard and other state resources.

A list of disaster relief resources for Nebraska farmers and ranchers also is available online at: https://buff.ly/…. The website includes links to USDA Farm Service Agency programs, including the Livestock Indemnity Program and information from the Nebraska Extension.


There have already been reports of scams and fraud taking advantage of people affected by the floods and need help, or those wishing to donate flood aid, according to Nebraska's attorney general. You can find tips on how to protect yourself at https://www.kearneyhub.com/…, how to spot fake charities at https://www.aarp.org/… and also at https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/….


North Dakota-based nonprofit Farm Rescue is launching Operation Hay Lift. The group launched its efforts in 2017 in response to drought conditions, delivering hay to ranchers in need.

The Associated Press reported on Tuesday that Farm Rescue is organizing a similar effort for Nebraska ranchers. You can find more information about Farm Rescue at http://farmrescue.org/….


The Nebraska FFA Foundation has established a Storm Relief Fund for FFA supporters to provide resources to Nebraska FFA members and chapters in the communities affected by the devastating floods and blizzards.

FFA said 100% of the donations through the Nebraska FFA Foundation will be distributed to Nebraska FFA members and chapters that were affected by the recent floods and blizzards.

An additional way to help includes the Agriculture Disaster Exchange: https://www.nefb.org/…


The Nebraska Farm Bureau established a Disaster Relief Fund at the Nebraska Farm Bureau Foundation to provide emergency aid to Nebraska farmers, ranchers and rural communities affected by recent storms and flooding.

Priority will be given to efforts to restore health and safety in rural communities, and to farm and ranch households that have been damaged or displaced by the natural disasters.

All donations will be distributed to Nebraska farmers, ranchers and rural communities affected by the disasters. If you would like to write a check, make it out to Nebraska Farm Bureau Foundation and mail it to: Nebraska Farm Bureau Foundation, Attn: Disaster Relief Fund, P.O. Box 80299, Lincoln, NE 68501-0299.

To apply for assistance or nominate another for assistance, please visit the Disaster Relief Fund Application for Aid page at https://www.nefb.org/….


Nebraska Cattlemen is working to assist cattle producers affected by natural disasters by launching a new disaster relief fund.

The Nebraska Cattlemen Disaster Relief Fund is organized in the state of Nebraska as a not-for-profit corporation and will be seeking to qualify as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable organization, under which all donations made to the fund would be tax deductible for donors.

All donations will be distributed to Nebraska cattle producers affected by natural disasters, including the recent floods and blizzard. If you would like to write a check, make it out to Nebraska Cattlemen Disaster Relief Fund and mail it to: Nebraska Cattlemen Disaster Relief Fund, 4611 Cattle Drive, Lincoln, NE 68521.

Please click here to download a donation form: https://nebraskacattlemen.org/…

Additionally, Nebraska Cattlemen has prepared and is keeping an updated list of federal disaster assistance resources, as well as other pertinent state regulations to consider during times of emergency.


The Nebraska Preparedness Partnership is currently accepting donations. These donations will stay in Nebraska and will be used for the catastrophic flooding and blizzard. Call Sandra Hobson at 402-979-7207 or email her at shobson@neprep.org for more information.

A list of reputable national and state organizations can be found on the Nebraska Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster website, www.nvoad.org. By giving to any of these organizations, donors can be sure that their funds will be distributed to those most in need.


The American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund is accepting donations at www.redcross.org or call 1-800-435-7669.


The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency website is continually updating information to answer questions on resources available.

You can access that information at https://nema.nebraska.gov/…. There are helpful documents that can answer many questions on what needs to be done. NEMA has established a hotline for questions from persons affected by the floods. You can reach that call center at 402-817-1551.

For information on debris cleanup, contact the crisis cleanup hotline at 402-556-2476.

Farmers who have lost machinery or livestock should report to the Farm Service Agency office. County office contact information can be found on the agency's website at https://www.fsa.usda.gov/….

All donations -- monetary, goods and services, volunteers -- are being coordinated through Nebraska 211. To access Nebraska 211, dial 211 within the state. Outside of Nebraska, call 866-813-1731.


The state of Nebraska has created a "Nebraska Strong" website where people can go to donate or request assistance. Check it out here: http://www.nebraska.gov/…


The Federal Emergency Management Agency has a website where storm victims can go to begin the application process for seeking FEMA disaster assistance, https://www.disasterassistance.gov/….


A fund for flood victims in Fremont County, Iowa, has been set up at the Tabor (Iowa) First State Bank.

For information or to donate, call 712-629-2435.


Editor's Note: Have any questions or know of other donation/relief suggestions to add to this list? Contact: Talk@dtn.com