Holiday Cranberry Pie:
Total cook time: 35–40 minutes
4 ounces gingersnap cookies
1 cup pecans
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 (16-ounce) package frozen cranberries (set aside ½ cup for topping)
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup water
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest, divided
¾ cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a food processor, pulse cookies and pecans until finely ground (about 1 minute).
3. Add butter and brown sugar; pulse to combine.
4. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish using a flat-bottomed measuring cup to help press the mix onto the bottom and up the sides of the dish.
5. Bake until toasted and firm (about 10 minutes).
1. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring cranberries, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer until most of the liquid evaporates (about 15 minutes).
3. Let cool; puree in a blender until very smooth.
4. Place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan filled with simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water); add cranberry mixture, eggs, egg yolks, lime juice, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon lime zest.
5. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and coats spatula (about 8 to 10 minutes). Remove bowl from heat; let cool until warm.
6. Whisk in butter, one piece at a time. Scrape into crust; chill until firm (about 2 hours).
Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water and remaining
1/2 cup cranberries in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir until sugar dissolves.
Cook cranberries until just soft (about 1 minute).
Transfer cranberries to a wire rack to cool. Toss in remaining sugar and lime zest; use to decorate pie.
Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.