BLACKBERRY CORNMEAL CAKE
Sweet and savory combine in this winter pairing.
MAKES: 6-8 SERVINGS
TOTAL TIME: 50 MINUTES
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup frozen blackberries
1 cup blackberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Generously grease a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Dust lightly with flour; knock out any excess.
3. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl, whisking well; set aside.
4. In a bowl fitted with a hand mixer, beat brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs; beat to incorporate.
5. Fold in flour mixture, and gently mix in buttermilk until just combined (do not overmix).
6. Fold in berries; transfer to pan, spreading into an
7. Drop jam by the spoonful onto the surface of the cake, dotting it across the entire cake; sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons granulated sugar.
8. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool completely before removing from pan.
© Copyright 2020 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.
P D[x] M[x] OOP[F] ADUNIT T