BEEF AND BARLEY STEW
When it's chilly outside, warm your soul with this hearty home-cooked meal.
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
MAKES: 6-8 servings
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chopped yellow onion
3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups beef broth
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup pearled barley
Fresh parsley for serving (optional)
PREPARATION AND COOKING:
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Pat beef dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear beef until deeply browned (about 3 minutes on each side), making sure not to overcrowd the pot. Repeat with remaining beef. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
3. Add remaining oil, carrots, celery and onion to pot. Sauté until soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomato paste and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
4. Add broth, water and thyme; season with salt and pepper to taste. Return beef to pot.
5. Bring soup to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until beef is tender (about 45 minutes).
6. Add barley to pot; cover and cook another 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
7. Garnish with parsley (if desired); serve with warm, crusty bread.
(c) Copyright 2023 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.