Enjoy this classic twist on a family favorite.
MAKES: 9 BROWNIES
TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, cut
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1â??1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup buttercream icing (store-bought)
Peppermint candies, crushed into coarse pieces
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch baking pan; set aside.
2. Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
3. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and chocolate. Microwave 30 seconds; stir. Repeat two or three times, or until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, combine sugar and eggs; whisk until smooth. Mix in vanilla and peppermint extracts. Slowly add the cooled chocolate, mixing as you go until smooth.
5. Gently fold in dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
6. Pour batter into prepared baking pan; spread evenly to all four corners.
7. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Cool completely at least one hour.
9. Cut brownies into nine even pieces; top with frosting. Decorate brownies with candies; serve.
(c) Copyright 2021 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.