Spiced Pumpkin Cake
This cake brings all the smells and tastes of the season.
MAKES: ONE CAKE
TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon whole milk
2 tablespoons raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1. Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-inch baking pans or one sheet pan (11 x 17) with baking spray.
2. Whisk melted butter, pumpkin puree, spices and salt until combined. Add boiling water; whisk until smooth and silky. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Whisk and set aside.
4. In a liquid measuring cup, combine buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
5. Pour pumpkin mixture into flour mixture; stir until halfway combined. Pour in buttermilk mixture; stir until combined. Pour onto sheet pan; bake 9-inch layers for 25 minutes or 11- x 17-inch sheet pan for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
6. Frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and salt on high speed until smooth; add milk to achieve a smooth consistency.
7. If making a layer cake, spread half of the frosting on top of one layer; top with other cake layer and remaining frosting. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds; serve. Store in the fridge for up to three days.
(c) Copyright 2021 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.