Recipes - Shepherd's Pie
Enjoy family-sized comfort food on a chilly spring evening.
MAKES: 6 SERVINGS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 pound 90% lean ground beef or lamb
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 cup frozen mixed peas and carrots
POTATO TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
Spoonful of salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup whole milk
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook until softened (about 5 minutes).
3. Add ground meat to skillet, breaking apart as you stir.
4. Add parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper; cook until meat is browned.
5. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, flour and tomato paste.
6. Add broth and frozen peas and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer.
1. Place cubed potatoes in a large pot; cover with cold water and a generous spoonful of salt. Bring potatoes to a boil; cook until tender (about 10 to 15 minutes).
2. Drain potatoes; return to pot. Allow remaining moisture to evaporate (about 2 minutes).
3. Add butter, milk, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
4. Mash to a smooth consistency. If mixture is too thick add more milk.
1. Pour meat mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish.
2. Spoon mashed potatoes on top, carefully spreading into an even layer.
3. Top with the grated Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is bubbling and cheese is browned.
5. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
(c) Copyright 2021 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.