Lava Cakes for Two
MAKES: 2 SERVINGS
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for ramekin
1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Whipped cream and fruit for serving
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease two 10-ounce ramekins with 1 tablespoon butter; dust with granulated sugar. Shake out excess.
2. Combine chocolate and remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time until chocolate is completely melted and smooth (about 1 minute).
3. In a medium bowl, combine remaining sugar, egg, egg yolk, espresso powder, vanilla and salt. Whisk until mixture is foamy and pale in color (about 2 minutes). Add flour; whisk until smooth.
4. Carefully stir chocolate into egg mixture.
5. Pour mixture into ramekins; bake 12 to 14 minutes or until cakes are set.
6. Remove cakes from oven; set aside to cool 5 minutes. Use a knife to loosen edges; carefully invert cake over a plate. Serve with whipped cream and fruit.
(c) Copyright 2021 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.