Cinnamon Swirl Bread
MAKES: 1 LOAF
TOTAL TIME: 4 HOURS
ACTIVE TIME: 40 MINUTES
1 cup whole milk, warmed
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4-ounce packet rapid-rise yeast
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, room temperature, divided
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1. In a medium bowl, combine milk, butter and yeast; stir and allow to sit at least 5 minutes. In another bowl, combine flour and salt.
2. Using the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix two eggs and sugar on
medium-high speed (about 1 minute); add milk mixture to combine.
3. With mixer running, add flour mixture by the spoonful. When a shaggy dough forms, switch to the dough hook; knead 10 minutes at medium speed. Dough should be soft and sticky, but not overly tacky.
4. Grease a large bowl; add ball of dough. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap; set aside to rise (at least two hours or until doubled in size).
5. Turn dough out onto a clean, lightly floured work surface. Roll into a long rectangle (no wider than the pan).
6. Smear surface with softened butter. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle into an even layer over the butter-smeared dough.
7. Starting at the far end, roll dough tightly, keeping the cinnamon sugar contained. You can also use a bench scraper to help coax the dough into a roll. Pinch the seam to seal. Place in a greased loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise another hour.
8. Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk remaining egg in a small bowl; gently brush it over loaf.
9. Bake loaf on middle rack for 40 minutes.
10. Allow bread to cool on rack for at least one hour before slicing.
(c) Copyright 2020 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.