MAKES: 3-4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 35 MINUTES
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 pound bratwurst sausages (not smoked)
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 large red apple, cored and diced
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
Salt (for taste)
3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In a large oven-safe skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat; sear bratwursts on both sides until deeply browned. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
2. Add onion and apple to skillet; cook 3 minutes or until just softened. Add Brussels sprouts; season with salt.
3. Nestle sausages into apple and Brussels sprouts mixture. Add 2 tablespoons water to pan; cover and transfer to oven. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender and sausages are cooked through.
4. Remove skillet from oven; allow to cool slightly as you prepare the mustard sauce.
5. For the mustard sauce, whisk together spicy mustard, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and remaining olive oil.
6. To finish, drizzle skillet with mustard sauce; serve extra sauce on the side.
Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.