BIRTHDAY CAKE COOKIES
Who says you have to eat cake on your special day?
MAKES: 2 dozen cookies
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes plus 1 hour chilling time
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups prepared vanilla icing
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles or nonpareils plus more for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.
3. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer; cream on high speed until pale and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes). Add eggs and vanilla; beat on low until just combined.
4. With mixer on low, add dry ingredients by the spoonful until just combined and a dough forms.
5. Transfer dough to a sheet of plastic wrap; cover completely and chill at least 1 hour (do not skip this step).
6. Roll cookies into balls of dough using 1 tablespoon of dough for each ball. Place cookies 2 inches apart on cookie sheet; press gently with the back of a measuring cup to flatten into half-inch discs.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown; allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with icing. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.