CITRUS-GLAZED CORNISH HENS
Easy and economical, these birds cook up fast for an applause-worthy presentation.
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes to 1 Hour
4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 cup apricot preserves
P D[x] M[x] OOP[F] ADUNIT T
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 orange, zested and juiced (plus more for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. To prepare the hens, pat birds dry with paper towel; season with salt and pepper. Tie legs of hens together with kitchen twine. Set two wire cooling racks into two foil-lined sheet pans; coat with nonstick cooking spray. Set two birds on each rack.
3. To make the glaze, bring preserves, butter, mustard, garlic, lemon juice and orange juice to a simmer in a small saucepan; stir in zest. Allow to cool slightly.
4. Reserve half-cup of sauce; set aside. Brush birds evenly with glaze.
5. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F, and the juices run clear.
6. Remove hens from oven; bring oven temperature to a broil. Brush hens with remaining sauce; broil 2 minutes on the lowest rack or until skin is crispy.
7. Transfer to a serving platter; garnish with orange wedges.
© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.