For a shortcut, premake breakfast. Baked Oatmeal Cups are an easy and healthy way to start the day.
Total time: 50 minutes
2 large eggs
1½ cups whole milk (or alternative milk)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup chopped trail mix of choice (assorted nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat cups of a 12-count muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine eggs, milk, applesauce, butter, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl; whisk until smooth.
3. Add oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; stir until combined.
4. Fill each cup to the top with oatmeal mixture (cups won’t rise much); top with extra toppings, such as trail mix,
5. Bake until set and golden brown (about 20 to 25 minutes). Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes; move each muffin to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week. Enjoy warmed in the microwave or at room temperature.
Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.