Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
Cinnamon and chile powder bring a surprising warmth to these cookies.
MAKES: 2 DOZEN COOKIES
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
2. In a large bowl fitted with a hand mixer (or standing mixer), combine butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar; beat until pale and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to combine.
4. Gradually add dry ingredients; mix until dough comes together.
5. In a small bowl, combine remaining teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar; add chile powder.
6. Form balls of dough, about 2 tablespoons each; roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
7. Place cookies 3 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
8. Bake until cookies just begin to crack (about 10 to 12 minutes).
9. Allow cookies to sit on baking sheets 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
10. May store in an airtight container up to one week.
(c) Copyright 2021 DTN, LLC. All rights reserved.