WEEKNIGHT FRIED RICE
Enjoy this easy Chinese favorite in less time than delivery.
MAKES: 2-3 SERVINGS
TOTAL TIME: 20 MINUTES
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon chili paste (optional)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
Protein of choice (2 large eggs, 8 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp, 8 ounces chicken)
3 cups cooked rice
1 cup frozen vegetable blend
2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (optional)
Fresh cilantro (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chili paste, sesame oil, brown sugar and sesame seeds; whisk well. Set aside.
2. Warm a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and protein of choice. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until protein is cooked through. Add 2 tablespoons soy mixture; stir to coat. If using eggs, skip sauce in this step, and use it all in the last step.
3. Remove protein from pan; set aside.
4. Allow pan to return to medium-high heat; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, rice and vegetables. Allow to cook a few minutes before stirring rice. Add remaining soy mixture; stir to coat.
5. Fold protein back into rice mixture.
6. Divide between bowls for serving; garnish with scallions and fresh cilantro, if desired.
© Copyright 2020 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.
P D[x] M[x] OOP[F] ADUNIT T