SAVORY GRILLED TURKEY BURGERS
Take dinner outside with this summer favorite.
MAKES: 4 BURGERS
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 tablespoon minced cilantro
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound ground turkey
Salt and pepper
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into four portions
4 potato hamburger buns
1 cup fresh spring mix lettuce
1 batch grilled red peppers and onions (see instructions below)
1. Heat outdoor grill to medium-high; clean and oil grates.
2. Mix olive oil, parsley, cilantro, vinegar, garlic and kosher salt; set aside 2 tablespoons to use with the peppers and onions.
3. Combine remaining sauce with turkey; gently mix. Form into four patties.
4. Season with salt and pepper; grill 5 to 8 minutes per side or until meat thermometer reads 160°F and juices run clear.
5. Just before removing from the grill, top each patty with a slice of mozzarella; close the grill 30 seconds to melt cheese.
6. Grill or toast buns, if desired.
7. Distribute spring mix evenly on the bottom bun; top with burger, grilled vegetables and remaining bun.
GRILLED PEPPERS AND ONIONS
Use these to top your turkey burger.
MAKES: 2 CUPS
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
2 large red bell peppers
1 medium white onion
2 tablespoons seasoned oil mixture (set aside earlier from turkey burger recipe)
Salt and pepper
1. Heat outdoor grill to medium-high; make sure grill grates are clean and oiled.
2. Trim stem and bottoms of peppers; discard veins and seeds. Cut each pepper into four even portions, pressing each as flat as will allow. Trim and quarter onion; tear into petals.
3. Toss vegetables with oil mixture; season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Cook about 5 minutes (vegetables may lay directly on grill grate, be skewered or be thrown into a vented grill pan).
5. Set aside to top burgers.
© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.